Wednesday 1 October 2014

THE JOYS AND POWER OF HALWA! THE RECIPE

I am generally very careful about my diet, but during this prolonged sickness what I really wanted to eat was halwa! It is the simplest thing to make (the recipe follows). It is rich, delicious, is served in gurdwaras (Sikh temples) to everyone who visits. They call it kadaa parshaad. I do believe it is holy and healing.

INGREDIENTS 

1/4 CUP GHEE (YUM!)
1/4 CUP WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR
1/4 CUP SUGAR (yes, I allowed myself sugar!)
1/2 CUP WATER. 

A cousin of mine once gave me the simplest directions to make it: Heat, Meet, Eat. Note, there are equal quantities of all the ingredients, except water, which is twice the amount of sugar used. Depending on your taste, you can increase or decrease the amount of sugar. I wanted mine sweet. 

Heat up ghee in a pan, add flour and cook it till a fragrant aroma perfuses the kitchen. add sugar, and when it melts, add water and cook till it bubbles. That's it, folks. I add raisins and coconut powder to it as well. nuts can be added, too.

My brother in law who is undergoing radiation for prostrate cancer ate some too, at my suggestion, and loves it. It is one of those foods that goes down really smoothly and in moderate quantities is energizing, nourishing, nurturing. 

just writing about it gave me an appetite and I am sitting as we speak, savoring it.

No comments:

Post a Comment