Sunday 26 October 2014

BEING ACTIVELY PASSIVE AND ACTIVE IN PASSIVITY, OR ONE ADVANTAGE OF AGING


  
Sometimes the body and brain bring you to a place where there are no words, no ideas, nothing at all to write about. Some people call it a ‘block’ but I call it rest. I used to freak out at it. What, no production on demand? No control? The will is powerless? Now I know these phases are to be honored precisely because you have no control over them. You simply have to let yourself be in whatever biological/psychic state you find yourself. 

Age has many advantages and the one on top of my list is precisely this learning to allow oneself the choice of accepting whatever internal or external circumstances one encounters in one’s journey through the day; to learn to actively surrender.

This does not mean one allows oneself to become a slug and a sloth. The inner barometer always lets you know when you are being one. Keeping that inner barometer well tuned is another of our tasks. For example I started this post with ‘sometimes there are no words or ideas,’ but managed in a rambling sort of way to come up with three very relevant (to me, and maybe to you) paragraphs. All I did was open a blank file, like a door, and entered it. The rest just sort of happened.


No comments:

Post a Comment