Friday 22 November 2013

I GET BY WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS: The Beatles

While Payson was away for five days for the memorial for his sister, I had several friends stop by and visit: Liz, Diane, and Phyllis. Nirmala was supposed to come by, too, but couldn't, and that was okay too, since the connection was renewed. And my friend, Jori, from 30 years ago, connected via email and the blog. And Susan Schenk, returned from her many wandering in Ecuador, connected, too. Thank you, friends. Sisters. Thank you for being in my life. Your presence enriches it, makes me feel connected, loved.

It seems to me that friendships have to be cultivated like food -- once the meeting has happened, like the sowing of a seed, it has to be watered, nurtured, fertilized, the weeds and knots removed periodically. Even when we wander far and wide, it is important to maintain the connections with a thread. The thread has to be in your consciousness and heart, and then it vibrates and lives. And the responsibility for the maintenance is always ours alone. We have to reach out, and find it there. It is like stretching the arm to reach for a fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment