Tuesday 2 July 2013

COFFEE, CHOCOLATE, GLORIOUS LAZINESS AND WONDERFUL ENERGY

I never drink coffee because it always makes me very acidic and bloated. Once this winter when I started taking an ounce of Payson's morning coffee and diluting it with a lot of water and or milk, I had a dream that made me stop taking it completely. I say to someone in my dream, Socrates had his hemlock and I have my coffee. I interpreted it as : coffee is going to kill me! I say the same thing when I get on a roll of eating chocolate. Well, I have had four days of  doing very little of what I usually do, just lying about, reading, or not even that, embroidering, cuddling, watching the tube. I had thought, my brain is tired (it was, from too much research and making notes on the research), my lungs are giving me trouble (they were), I need a rest (I did). But this morning I had an urge for coffee like you wouldn't believe and whenever I have an urge that's so strong, I indulge. I went to the kitchen (our cook's away on leave) and made myself a cup (not an ounce or a hemi demi cup but a whole one) of coffee just the way I like it -- with milk and honey and yum! scrum! AND I've been at my desk all morning, quite stoked with energy and happy to be alive and doing things like babbling here!

so, I shall resume, hemlock or not. I will not drink it regularly, as a habit, but as medicine. That's the way to indulge in one's vices. Speaking of vices, I have another one -- playing electronic backgammon!  But instead of playing it the whole day ( I can, sickeningly) I limit myself to three games (at a time!).  

1 comment:

  1. Life is sweet poison....something is going to get us in the end...or swallow up our time with distractions....might as well have some java and be alert. Good anti-oxidiants too...see Huff Post below:

    Details on:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kristin-kirkpatrick-ms-rd-ld/coffee-health-benefits_b_2962490.html

    Hippocrates said, "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." Just about every nutrition-related professional I know has that quote displayed somewhere in their office, probably to convince reluctant patients that a really smart guy a really long time ago predicted that food could actually heal the body. When most people read this quote, they are envisioning lots of plants, lots of whole grains, and yes, what my patients call "cardboard" -- food that's good for our bodies but not our taste buds (taste buds can be trained, by the way, to enjoy foods you never thought you would). But I bet no one is envisioning a huge cup of Joe, are they? The fact is, due to its worldwide popularity, coffee is probably the greatest source of antioxidants in the global diet. And while having lots of it isn't recommended for everyone, for some of us, it may just be the superfood of the century. Here are nine reasons to start the day with this healing drink.

    It may lower your risk of death.


    It helps make your reproductive systems happy.


    It can help lower your risk of developing Type 2 diabetes.

    It helps protect your brain.


    It could help you recover after colon surgery.

    It's great for your skin.

    It may help to reduce your risk of oral cancer.

    It may help you strengthen your muscles -- and your DNA.

    by Kristin Kirkpatrick, M.S., R.D., L.D.

    ReplyDelete