Monday 22 July 2013

A LESSON ON LOVING LEARNED FROM MY DOGS

I have two female dogs, Foxy, 6 or 7, and Bhalli, three this month. They live in our India home and I do not take them with me to the US when I leave to be there for around five months. This is difficult for  them and for me, though I try to make it as easy for them as I can. I have our chawkidar, or grounds keeper, Himmat and his wife, Meera, move into the house where there is a German woodstove, ensure there is plenty of wood for the winter, pay the Chawkidar really well for their food, chicken, milk, eggs, ghee, rotis and rice, doggie biscuits and bones. They are always healthy and happy when I return, and I know they have been well taken care of. But that isn't really the issue. Though I try not to worry about them too much (hungry leopards come down to the village in winter and eat dogs, goats, cattle) since Himmat takes really good care of them and we have a fence around our house, I always wonder on my return whether I should love them wholeheartedly or not, fearing we will get too attached to each other. There is always a distance when I return -- they don't know how much to love me, either, considering I have been leaving every winter for a long stretch. But each year I come to one conclusion -- I have to love them wholeheartedly, and more, if possible, because I know I am going to leave. I think this is a definition of detachment -- love wholly and then let go, easily, when circumstances demand it. And circumstances always demand it. If nothing else, there is always death.

3 comments:

  1. And Death is enough to remind us that learning to love openly , even in the face of "departure," is good enough work for us to continually learn and practice. Dogs, family, friends, partners, the World around us...they all need our care and attention as we come and go....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is not so much about your dogs as it is about your writing. I, for one am glad that you continue to blog no matter whether you know whether it is being read or not. I think you need not worry about that too much. Your blogs are being read (and possibly even devoured) by many discerning readers who are already familiar with your work.
    Your "Ganesha goes to Lunch" brought three generations of my family together with its stories of Shiva, Vishnu and Brahma. Ok, to be honest, I did censor some parts of the book, but I immersed myself in all of it!
    These are good times for writers of mythology. Look at the glory that Devdutt is basking in, but I wish I could shout from the roof of my house in Hyderabad "Before Devdutt, there was Kamla. And she was much, much, better!"

    Good Luck and I look forward to reading your book on Rumi...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so glad to hear from you, Anonymous dear, it is comments like these that sustain me and help me to carry on. And you are right, I will continue to blog, or blag, as I call it, a combo of blog and blab, because I must, just as I continue to write books, regardless of whether they are read. But the kindness of people like you sure helps me to carry on with faith!

      Delete