Tuesday 29 July 2014

SOME MUSINGS ON THE POWER OF PHOTOGRAPHY


Such a lovely high this morning, the sun shining brightly, and every little detail of the house and garden, either looking at it, or planning to do something, is a thrill. I go to our Grotto, what a microcosm it is! Lovely beyond words, the moss from the recent rains blooming emerald green on the dark, textured portion of hill. It is enclosed, but open to the sky, a tiny little courtyard, miniature of the universe, lumen, inner open space of our home. It has a dark grey slate floor with a mosaic in white and orange pieces of tile. And in the center of a space – it has no center – is that lovely table made of a mill stone that P put together. I moved a few stones, cleaned a little and it tired me out. I will have Dolma, our new maali, who I really like, because she has the feminine eye for detail and cleanliness, work on it. She shall have the pleasure while I indulge in other, less taxing delights. I like writing because it is so sedentary! I almost didn’t want to come into the study but then I knew that I must come here, clean and create in the garden of the computer screen as well.

Just interrupted my entry to take photos of the grotto (to save myself description) and that got me started on taking photos and thinking about including them on the blogs.

You see things differently when you see them through the lens of the camera. First of all, you see it more clearly, and out of context, and therefore highlighted and seen in all the beauty that custom dims and belittles (PLEASE KEEP READING AFTER THIS INTERRUPTION)
for us. You understand that it has a beauty apart from its context, and yet intimately connected to it, though invisible in the photograph. The context, matrix, I think as I write here, is always invisible and takes an inner, imaginative seeing to become manifest, as image and idea.

1 comment:

  1. You've captured the Zen stillness of the Grotto with the mill stone!

    ReplyDelete