Wednesday 30 July 2014

DID I TELL YOU ABOUT WHEN . . .


When your body is weak, all your sorrows come home to roost. I can see why mom only dwells on the painful memories now. I had already said goodnight to her when she called me again to say ‘ik gul sun jaa, jo main kadee bhee naheen dusee,’ (Come and listen to this one which I have never told you before), and I went, knowing full well I knew all her stories, but still hoping it would be something new, but she starts on a story (a sad, sad one) I have heard a million times before.  I was tired and I said, mom, I’ve already heard this story, kissed her again and began to leave. Really, I don't think I've told you this one before. But here’s another . . . '

I think her need to tell and retell her stories also has something to do with just having my presence. If she has my attention, I'll sit with her.  

1 comment:

  1. Let sitting with your mother be a meditation, even if you've heard her stories many times....she only wants/needs your presence and love. I listened to my mother and father's stories many times and often felt frustrated. How I would love to sit with them now and heat them again for the 100th time! Once Laj is gone, you'll never hear her stories again and even loose the sound of her voice in your memory banks....a meditation!

    ReplyDelete