Monday 2 September 2013

CELEBRATING FAILURE




This has been a difficult week for both Payson and me. Disappointments and so-called ‘bad’ phases have a way of clustering together and happening all at once. Payson had some ‘surus’ (Yiddish word for trouble in the mind) this week, related to relationships and projects falling apart; I had a rejection for my most recent book from a publisher I was hoping would publish it. We were both quite quiet at dinner, when we both hit on the idea of opening a bottle of wine. After we had poured it into our goblets and clunked them together, P said, ‘Here’s to . . .’ and I said, ‘failure! That way we’ll have more to celebrate!’

1 comment:

  1. Tsuris....great Yiddish word...aggravation that continues to aggravate whether from others actions or worse your own mind turning over the problem and not even making sweet butter out of it!

    Yes, celebrate the downs because everything changes!
    When the road ahead has less time to live...you have to embrace it all with a recognition of the pain/loss and then letting it go. I wish I had learned that 25-30 years ago!

    ReplyDelete