Thursday 26 February 2015

IN PRAISE OF METHOD



I love method and follow it from moment to moment. A simple thing like this gives me joy:
I’m going to put the kettle on, take a pee (shouldn’t it be ‘give’ a pee?), bring down the mug from the cabinet, put a tea bag in it, clean the counter if the water still hasn’t boiled, pour it, then go downstairs and turn on the synthesizer.

A definition of METHOD is illuminating. By the way, I use the American Heritage Dictionary of The English Language, my favorite: the root means ‘to go,’ ‘to go after,’ ‘pursuit;’ journey comes from the same root. ‘A means and manner of procedure, a regular and systematic way of accomplishing anything,’ ‘Orderly and systematic arrangement.’

In my case right now the ‘accomplishing’ means getting through my day with sanity and joy.   

No comments:

Post a Comment