Thursday 13 February 2014

LOVE IS THE GLUE: VALENTINE WISHES FOR MY READERS

Well, you know, being creatures of habit, we fall into ruts. We keep doing the same thing over and over even when it ceases to serve us. I had been in one for a long time, doing my usual routines, thinking my day 'should' revolve around work, productivity, writing. I wasn't sleeping well, was dragging around in my days, eating too much, wondering what happened to my joy in living. Fortunately the insight came to me like a rain (you know what I mean if you live in Southern California) of grace --- take some damn time off, you stupid idiot! As soon as the thought came, and I resolved on Tuesday to take the rest of the week off, my heart did a little frisk and leap. I stayed in bed the whole day, reading, playing electronic backgammon, eating, napping. I slept well that night, and the next day being a holiday, too, I had a restful state of mind. The day was so beautiful and warm that I decided to garden. Payson was already there, and gardening together is such a wonderful thing to do around Valentine's day. All the plants were my Valentines, too! And the birds, and the dove that allowed us to get just a few feet away from it, with its sleek brown body and dark eye. I cleaned out dead leaves, fed the plants, scattered some more beautiful cobbles in the bare space around our tiny pond, and puttered about for hours. I swear the plants and the birds return more than we can ever give to them in food, care, and love. Suffice it to say that I came away from this activity feeling very fulfilled and happy.

So my Valentine wish for my readers is this: May you see and feel the connection with all of nature, with everything around you, bonding with it in a love that will never grow old and never break. We live in our Mother, our breath connects us to the Out There, coming in, going out, coming in again. We are part of a larger whole that keeps and holds us in Love. Love is the glue that binds it all together!

1 comment:

  1. Nature loves us in so many ways....even with Her power to destroy and bring us back to humility, even Death...how wondrous and strange. How lucky we were two days ago when a Gray Whale breached before us while on our deck....so close leaping out of the Pacific Ocean, her/his beautiful hydrodynamic form sailing up and splashing down with fin and fluke and white underbelly displayed to us landlubbers. Today, my sweet valentine, we will kayak in the La Jolla Cove with Brown Pelicans soaring by, California Sea Lions looking at us...and perhaps some dolphins and whales for us to give VDay greetings. Let us all celebrate the many different ways we can love and be loved in this bittersweet journey we all share.

    ReplyDelete