Monday 7 October 2013

THE BARS OF THE PRISON ARE CLOSING IN, IT'S TIME TO FLY AWAY!

Before we leave our India home for the season, we puts grills on all the windows -- this house is a house of windows to let the outside in. We have to do this several days before we leave as they take time to install. It always makes me feel like a prisoner inside my own home: the river, the trees, the hills and rocks are all seen through a grid of squares. It strikes me as I write this that when we are imprisoned inside ourselves this is how we see all of life -- broken up into bits and pieces, not as the whole it is. I know this of myself, for lately I have molted out of a tight skin and being new, am seeing the world in a light far, far larger than the tight and constricted eyes of my ego.

But I had meant to write of literal, time-bound events -- our leaving here tomorrow to go down to the city, cities, and then after a nice holiday, fly back to our other home. Payson had been distraught lately because he hadn't heard our blue whistling thrush  -- with the most lovely, liquid and lyrical of songs -- sing for several months. I heard about it practically every day but he wasn't consoled by my explanation that the bird had a singing block. But this morning he heard it! I didn't, being half deaf without my hearing aids in the morning, but seeing his joy was enough for me. We can leave happily!

No comments:

Post a Comment