Tuesday 5 March 2013

MAN'S SEARCH FOR MEANING, VIKTOR FRANKL

As you can see, I'm still mulling over this book. I had an opportunity to refer to it again last night. I had driven up with Payson to LA yesterday to hear Gustavo Daudamel's FIREBIRD (Stravinsky): AWESOME, and for a Sat Sang at the Shivananda Ashram where they had invited me to read two stories about Shiva (it being Shivratri) from my GANESHA GOES TO LUNCH book. One of them, SEE HIM IN THE DARK, brought up the issue of how we can see God in the demonic and ugly. A lot of people had a hard time with it. Richard said how can you see God in the holocaust?I was reminded of Frankl's book again. This man is not just talking, he has experienced the death camps in all their horror. He says, "If there is a meaning in life at all, then there must be a meaning in suffering. Suffering in an ineradicable part of life, even as fate and death. without suffering and death human life cannot be complete."

He goes on to say "the way in which a man accepts his fate and all the suffering it entails, the way in which he takes up his cross, gives him ample opportunity -- even under the most difficult circumstances -- to add a deeper meaning to his life."

I will talk about this some more. But do read the book for yourself. It gives you a tremendous insight into human nature and is ultimately a hopeful book.

No comments:

Post a Comment