Friday 31 August 2018

The 5-Minutes trick for writers



For the simple reason that every writer’s method of writing is as unique as a snowflake, I can’t tell anyone how to write.

Yet I myself have benefited enormously from the processes of other writers and from advice by the pros.

For example, I practice, whenever I return to a writing task that feels intimidating or has stalled out, a timer trick I read in a book I was reading (apologies for not remembering its name) on writing once: buy a timer, tell yourself you are going to work on it for just five minutes. 

This suggestion resonated with me so deeply that though I have used it extensively and even now use it to begin work on a project before the project takes on a life of its own.

 I still use it for many things that I feel are necessary for my life: like doing yoga, meditation, and exercise.


No comments:

Post a Comment