Wednesday 27 June 2018

ANOTHER REASON WHY I WRITE ABOUT THE SIKH TRADITION



The younger generation of Sikhs are sadly ignorant of their own rich and invaluable heritage. I include myself in this ignorance. I have over the course of my life made it a point to make inroads into Gurbani, understand it to the best of my ability. Much, much remains to be known.

But I do know that it isn’t enough just to keep hair and go to the gurdwara regularly. To make our practice pertinent and germane to our lives we have to understand the concepts and messages of Sikhism. Translations of the words of our gurus and bhagats are inadequate for the reason that, as someone said, ‘poetry is that which is left out in translation.’ The richness of the words, phrases, images, rhythm, music, are untranslatable.

The only way I know to convey and interpret the deep truths of Sikhism, Hinduism, Sufism – the three traditions I have explored in three of my books, is through an imaginative recreation of the essential messages through the medium of plots, characters, events. Besides the messages, the stories that I explore, develop and create are a way of showing and demonstrating the sense, import, gist, substance, essence of Sikh philosophy. 






No comments:

Post a Comment