Friday 13 November 2015

HUKUM, AND THE POWER OF WISDOM

The other thing that has kept me from the sinking sands of attachment is Hukum. It is central to Sikhism and to most other religions as well. Crudely translated, it means, God's Will. Hukum is that which we cannot change by our efforts; that which has to be; that which is natural and in accordance with the Cosmic Order, or Design. How often I have been reminded of it in the past weeks when, again in the words of Nanak, I have burned in baking fires and knives have sliced through my heart. But as soon as I remembered to remember that this event is hukum, I was cooled and calmed.

Wisdom, if we court it in peaceful times, cultivate and make it a habit, will come to our aid when we need it the most, when without it we are in danger of perishing.

1 comment:

  1. Good to see you blogging again....coming back to your artha and dharma as a writer stringing word pearls into jewels to adorn consciousness. We're half way around the world from each other (at the same latitude!) connecting thru phones transmitting our voices as your begins and mine ends. A strangely disembodied form of connection that feels like I'm holding you in my hands with thought forms spinning threads that become string for the pearls.....

    ReplyDelete