Thursday 23 July 2015

TEACHING THIS OLD DOG NEW TRICKS IS WHAT I LOVE TO DO THESE DAYS



Psychic, and physical tricks. First, Psychic: which does come first, because this is the Power Center, the dynamo, the Master and Mistress, Captain and Captainess of our lives. A specific example: as my mother ages she becomes, according to the truism, more and more like a child, irrational and prone to fits. Earlier, it would disturb me  (she has been a bit like this all her life) , I would react, let it upset me beyond my capacities, get angry and disturbed. Two days ago I dealt with her, went to her a thousand times when she called, was present: I got tired, yes, but I did not get emotionally tangled. This is what I think the Gurus mean by detachment. It is not something I have achieved, but a gift after a lifetime of striving for the state. And I am not fool enough to think this state of detachment permanent. But the trick to learning this new trick has to do with letting your emotions be: sorrow and grieve, be disappointed and despair when these emotions return to us on the lathe of time, feel them fully, but not get attached to them.

A few practical, physical examples of new tricks: they all require (A) a willingness to first notice something is not working, and (B) recognizing and acknowledging a need, and then taking steps to remedy it – or rather, when you do the first two, a space opens up in which the universe goes to work for you. It is not your will but the universe’s that provides the remedy. To think you alone can remedy something is pride.

So, the examples: I have had a habit of reaching for the phone each morning upon waking to check emails and messages. Well, that gets old very soon but being in the habit you keep doing it anyway. After doing the usual round this morning I realized I do it (in addition to other egotistical needs  -- has so and so contacted me yet?) to stay in bed longer, and that I like to play in bed for a while before getting up and starting my day. I decided to get to know my new Iphone better by going to each button, though my motive was to find how I could record my voice on it when I sing. And was thrilled to find it, though I still don’t know how to record. The first door has opened and it is a beginning. It led me to a second door: you’ve got an Ipad, stupid, that has TablaPro, an application with Indian raags and tempos on it! You can use the thing for other purposes than playing backgammon obsessively! When I finally got out of bed I saw my face in the mirror and turned away, as I always do. Having lost around 14 pounds lately (intended) I now weigh around 110 (I’m short: I used to be five almost two and now I am almost five – the shriveling has been in progress for a while), my face looks small, pinched, but what I dislike most is my disheveled frizzy white hair (in this humidity) all over the place making me look like quite the crone. I have done this turning away from the mirror trick for decades till this morning when I said, I will pin it down with my berets. Voila! What a tiny little thing, and I now have another little detail to cheer myself up in the mornings. I’m still a crone but a lovely one (Yes, I think I’m lovely. Shouldn’t you also think this lovely thought?)

But what pleased me most yesterday was my failed attempt at taking a nap and my inability to do anything else led me to another door. As I lay in bed and obsessed about what to do when I didn’t want to do anything and didn’t want to not do anything, either, I told myself that I would get out of bed and put away things in the cluttered room for just fifteen minutes (since it needs to be done before Payson gets here for the launch tomorrow; I don’t know how he puts up with me – not too well on occasions, but I thank him for it publically) and before I knew it, I had worked on it for an hour and felt I had accomplished something huge! I loved it so much that I have set aside another task to do when I am in these straits again (organize some financial, practical papers).


All in all, a great few days: I feel great about myself and my ability to take care of my psychic, emotional and physical needs. It gets more and more important to learn to do this as we age.

No comments:

Post a Comment