Wednesday 4 March 2015

WHAT DOES A DAY OFF LOOK LIKE FOR ME? WHERE NO PLACE IN THE UNIVERSE IS BETTER THAN HERE AND NOW


Was going about my morning in a slow and sluggish way and then I thought, I’ll take the day off! And the thought and resolution infused me with joy! I went out in the garden, cleaned the bird feed trough and filled it and the hanger with bird feed. I had seen a dove clinging desperately to the all too small hanger in the rain (we’ve had it for two days, though California is still in a drought), and knew I had to refill it today. Part of my taking the day off will be gardening.

What does my day off look like? I do what I want to do and have no compulsion to work on any of my projects. Yesterday I dumped all the 6 parts of MALINI IN WHIRLWOOD together in one document and paginated it (such a pain, with very frequent goof ups on the part of the computer), and have given myself the whole month of March to putter with it and to putter. For the first time in months and months I went to the bead store in Solana Beach and bought myself some supplies: mainly two three strand clasps, and I’m making my first three strand necklace with rhodocrosite and rubies with gold filled 26 gauge wire. It’s beautiful, though my pieces lack finesse. Right now I’m stopping journaling in mid thought to do some yoga with P, who turns 70 this month.

~
 LATER: 
We were going to sit and drink in the music room, P his coffee, me my chai, when I said, looking at the sunshine flooding the lower garden, let’s sit outside! I had wanted to go to the beach, but this felt perfect. Soon, after luxuriating in sunshine, watching the emerald and ruby hummers feeding from the orange blossoms and cape honeysuckle, we admired the arrangement of succulents on the shelves that Jorge built last year, we got into doing, trimming and shaping our bonsais. It was utter delight, and I felt again that vibration I have been feeling lately (alternating with a very dark night of the soul in the middle of each night) that places me right in the center of the harmony of existence, where no place in the entire universe is better than here, now. Everything felt so right, us, the doing, the beauty, the loveliness of the trees. I worked in the garden for two hours, cleaning and weeding, and then got tired and came in to feed the orchid I bought for P for Valentine’s, trim off the dying stalks, and then play a few games of backgammon to relax my back and then make myself that rare cup of coffee that I can only have and digest when the body clearly asks for it. And then I have to not think about calories and have it the way I love it: creamy and sweetened with honey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment